Home > Kev's Blog > 4-Apr-2013 Day 2 of Bangla-dash run

4-Apr-2013 Day 2 of Bangla-dash run

Thursday 4 April 2013 Leave a comment Go to comments

I set the alarm for 5am and got up and hassled the guy about unlocking the front door so I could get out. I very quickly found a tuc-tuc going south to Habra where I finished off yesterday. Nearly had an accident – he stalled it one time and tipped it up and nearly went off the road. Make it to Habra and had a chai and started running at 6.20am to run back north. I only used my water bottle with perpetuem powder and some salt tablets. Now and again I made a conscious effort to stop and take my pack off – sometimes had a chai, sometimes a sports bar and one time some curd was about the only thing I fancied to eat (but knew I needed to eat something). I didn’t want to run myself down into the ground again today.

I made it to the border for my day’s total of 35km at just gone noon and did the immigration for both Indian and Bangladeshi border, changed money, caught a rickshaw to the bus stop, bought a ticket to Jessore and then got to Jessore about 3.30pm, totally wrecked and still in my wet and dripping runing kit.

Jessore looks a bit of a dump and everyone wants some baksheesh for nothing. A guy at the drink stand asked me if I’d bought any gifts like calendars or pens and was disappointed when I said no. Another guy grabbed a form and started filling it in for new at immigration even after I told him I could do it, after he asked for a tip he said that the 10R wasn’t enough. The bloody cheek!

I checked into the hotel after taking a rickshaw ride from the bus stop, paid the 100taka asked for and he got shitty I didn’t give a tip. I only had 5taka left otherwise it was 500taka notes ($10). You don’t really tip rickshaw drivers usually just round up or keep the change.

I had some tomato soup at the hotel with a black instant coffee then had a look at some shops to see if I could get a local sim card as both my 2 can’t get a data connection (hence the delay in writing this post).

The room was faultless so cheered me up – even had a hot shower! I popped my new blisters and txted and called Dawn but couldn’t get hold of Chris. Then had a doze. At 8pm I went to the restaurant as I had a headache probably due to lack of food. Had some cold sprite and a veg fried rice which was  not oily and it really hit the mark. Didn’t go overboard though as I didn’t want to feel sick.

Still couldn’t get hold of Chris so I had no idea when they would turn up. Left a note at reception asking him to bang on my door. Went to bed approx 10pm.

Some photos from earlier today:





  1. Marc
    Saturday 6 April 2013 at 14:55

    The bloke at immigration did the same thing to us last year! Great stuff Kevin, well done mate!!

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Please enter your comment below, sorry about the increased security, it's to reduce spam. If it's too hard then send an email to me : kevintiller at gmail dot com

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s